Thursday, March 5, 2015

Multi-threaded, single core

Everything is possible, but everything takes longer than you'd like.

A side effect of the obsessive focus I bring on projects is my inability to sustain that intensity. I'm not really a multi-tasker. Instead I concentrate on one thing for a few days, then move my focus to something else.

It's like doing shows in rep (aka in repertory; two or more plays are done over the same block of time at the same building). And like working in rep, a lot of extra effort goes into loading in and loading out.

In terms of projects, I have the physical clutter of half-done projects, supplies on order or just arrived or being saved for when I'm ready for them, tools and jigs and workspaces that need to be set up for a certain project and I'm leery of breaking them down...and similar clutter of the mental spaces.

I discovered when writing a novel that it took a minimum of an hour to upload enough of even a single scene in order to be able to work on it. To work on the novel in depth it took three or four days before I could really remember where everything was and be able to pick up where I left off.

Add to this, more and more sets of intellectual tools that get rusty. Like trying to remember the hotkey commands in the dozens of pieces of software I need for many of my projects.

Right now I'm shuffling quickly, trying to move along on the latest Holocron orders, move into the drafting stage on the Ray Gun commission...and doing a little mesh work and file reorganizing for Poser content creation.

And, yeah. It's been a while since I looked at those folders. I found some meshes in progress I'd completely forgotten I'd built. That's hours of work, even days of work, that would have gone completely to waste if I hadn't almost accidentally stumbled on them again.

And may, still. I'm pushing hard on everything that even slightly resembles paying work, but this stuff is chump change...what I really need is another gig or two, and the moment that happens, everything else will have to go on the back burner.

No comments:

Post a Comment