Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Knot Working

I still need another job.

The props stuff is keeping me busy, but with only a sound op gig, a small lighting design, and some microphone rentals I'm just barely going to scrape by.

I was messing around with knotwork today -- or more specifically, looking at a lot of stuff about Islamic interlace patterns. The idea was to work up something for my new Jedi Holocron project that takes the "Millennium Falcon Circuitry" pattern of the last one and moves it to more of a repeating decorative pattern...and the religious-art connotations don't hurt, as this is a design for a Jedi Temple.

Not sure why I thought of going in that direction. Maybe memories of the fantastic clockwork facade of the Institut du Monde Arabe in Paris.


So I'm slowly getting used to both Inkscape, and GIMP. Flipping back and forth between them is still...interesting...however, as the key commands are completely different for each. In fact, because Inkscape is running on Xquartz via a Java VM, it remaps command (Mac standard) to control. So something as simple as saving the file takes an extra little bit of concentration.



I still have no idea how to proceed on my power issues with the DuckLight. Seems like I need to live with the idea of larger battery packs if I want the full output power, and add on-board regulators. Which not only adds parts, and footprint, but also means you'd have to change jumpers or something for all those applications where a smaller battery pack is more appropriate. 

Hrm. Maybe regulating the ATtiny down to 3.3 volts regardless of battery source makes the most sense. 2xAAA just doesn't light anything but a red LED anyhow, and that's the only set that would be too low for even an LDO. And with a powerful enough regulator, it could supply an XBee, meaning I wouldn't really need a custom daughterboard for those.

One thing I have figured out is what I want to do with those flexible USB lights I picked up for a buck each at Wallgreens. Make little Steampunk-Tiffany task lights out of them. Add a laser-cut acrylic clip/magnet on one end, paint the flexible rod up a nice brass, stick a super blue LED in, and pull some painted/dyed PETG over a hand-carved buck to make a shade.




Now if only I had some sketches I liked for the Raygun. I need to start getting client approval and move into the next design phase!






No comments:

Post a Comment