Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Okay, who bent the algorithm?

Suddenly this morning, my Quora feed is full of chess questions. I swear, I have never looked at anything chess-related there.

Worse, YouTube is trying to entice me with TERF and anti-SJW rants.

I mean, I know better; I still remember when I was looking up a concealed weapon for a story and for the next six months I was getting Right to Carry stuff in my sidebar.

Doesn't help that -- well, it is really my own fault -- that so many of the things I need to do are requiring sign-in now and so very many of them offer the alternative of just using Google. I'm trying hard to get out of Chrome now, but most of the alternatives are worse. I don't actually mind Chrome spying on me as much as I mind how many CPU cycles it is wasting grinding away at remembering every single detail of every single thing I do through it, and broadcasting the information to all its little friends.

Seriously, I have to shut down Chrome any time I want to use a heavy-demand application. Like Reaper. Or PhotoShop.

Imagine my delight when Chrome starts right back up because PhotoShop requires via-browser activation each and every time it runs now. It is a subscription, and extra-aggressive about it. It wants to make damned sure no freeloader dares use its software without giving them a fat check every month.

So it makes absolutely sure that it is connecting to the same Google log-in, that same ultra-secure login that requires only an email to verify or change, that every stupid site out there already knows...

Including Quora.

No comments:

Post a Comment