Thursday, April 2, 2020

M25 to Potter's Bar

I'm starting slowly to get a sense of London geography. There are so very many districts, and each of course has their own character.

The Imperial War Museum stands at the edge of Elephant and Castle, Kennington sort of southwest of it, then Lambeth, cross the Thames at Lambeth Bridge and you are in Westminster...

So far I'm still not regretting stopping research where I did. I did have to read up on pubs, and more about Crossrail, but I knew where to stop and I was able to get another thousand words down. I'm at 8K with two short scenes left and that's not too far off the target for Part I of 4. (the middle two are the long ones).

And I'm not being as much a stickler. I'm not naming the hotel. I am naming the pub, but it doesn't exist. I've already dealt with having to move the Tower Bridge knife attack back a year, delay the real-world construction at Battersea by 2-4 years, and move Diana back a week and upgrade her to a full North Sea Storm with Tidal Surge. So although I'm in general sticking with the new and generally unliked "upgrades" to the museum, I am comfortable with dragging one exhibit forward in time as well.

I probably don't have to move the Lord Mayor's Show, though. And my protagonist already slept through Guy Fawkes Night. I'm trying to keep this more focused on W.W. II. It's not easy.

***

Oh, and that's another oddity. I've been so used to using Expedia and TripAdvisor and so forth to figure out where hotels are, what museum hours are, basically sanity-check the action I'm writing. Well, I need to figure out how to use those with the Wayback Machine, because what they are spitting at me now is the reduced routes and inflated prices and closed doors of, well, the current pandemic.

***

Coffee arrived, and a new headset. And I discovered bluetooth is a dog's breakfast when it comes to running off a laptop. Spent an hour fighting persistent stutter, and it is still stuck in a lower-quality codec I need Developer tools to fix. And according to forums, this is a cross-platform reality.

On the other hand found a substitute for iTunes that doesn't hog all the system resources and re-arrange your files just for fun. So that's a nice change.



No comments:

Post a Comment