Saturday, December 29, 2012

Answering Questions

Sometimes I look at my blog sites and I see interesting search terms that led someone to here.  Sometimes I wish they'd stay and write me a note; because it is something I actually know the answer to.

Here's a random selection from this past week:


qlab how many tracks:  As many tracks as your computer can handle.  Actually, I've had more trouble over running several long tracks (ten minutes each) at the same time, as at some point QLab runs out of RAM and has to stream more data from the hard disk.  A friend of mine has had some breakup when running 10+ stereo sound files simultaneously on an old Mac Powerbook.

nanokey broken:  The thing that keeps happening to mine is the keys getting pulled off.  They can be put back, if you are nimble (and don't loose the little contacter boot/cup thing).  But it is enough trouble so lately I've just done without a few keys.

shield arduino ULN2803:  I've not seen this specifically.  I made one myself, of course.  Plus I made a one-board minimal Arduino + ULN2803 using one of Adafruit's darling perma-proto boards.  There are quite a few driver shields out there, tho.  Enough so you can almost certainly get the equivalent performance.  If not better (as in, many driver shields are arranged around latching registers so they give you more controlled outputs on fewer I/O pins).

oaklahoma little wonder:
  I built this prop long ago.  The description in the play is straight-forward; it is a frontier Viewmaster with a hidden switchblade.  Basically, a portable version of the peepshow machines popular at the time; you pointed it towards a light and looked into one end, and saw either a slide, or through various cunning mirrors and similar, more than one slide, of a pretty girl in various stages of undress.  In the specific device used in the play, if you know which catch to press, a knife comes out -- according to the script, the knife pops out the bottom and you then grab the tube from the rube and stab him with it.  The version I made was slightly more efficient; a spring-loaded rubber dagger came out the viewing end!

attiny button led pwm:
  Um, sure.  All of the above.  Trick to note; the tinys have only one or two internal clocks that can be used for hardware PWM.  These don't line up well with the expectations of the Arduino software so you are better off writing in C -- and be prepared to read up on register flags!  You can also do software PWM on any pin; I reprogrammed a Blink-M this way, and it fades okay without too bad a flicker even though I didn't use very efficient code.

Atompunk USB:
  now THAT is a nice idea!  I've got a couple of flash drives sitting around -- maybe my next prop should be a nice atompunk mod for one of them.  Dare I find a really small gear motor and put a fan on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment