Sunday, October 7, 2018

Talk to the thumb

Wood stain is drying on my Sutton Hoo. I will not be surprised if the tuning pegs don't hold or the tailpiece snaps when I put it under tension, but no biggie. I have proper zither pins arriving Monday. The only reason I went with the brass pins is I wanted to see if it made a sound before I wasted a lot of time doing the finish work.

So I guess it makes sense I've started a Reaper file for "Uncharted Worlds" (the music that plays in the galaxy map and planet probe screen of all the Mass Effect games). The process is a little different on this one; found a MIDI file that seems close enough. Spent the afternoon finding voicing for it that matched the capabilities of my available instruments. And tried the top one (the ukulele part). Not too bad.

(Toughest part is my violin-trained instinct is to fret each upcoming note as soon as possible. For a guitar or uke part you may want to stay fretted in order to let the note sustain.)

Yes, there's a link. I started thinking about baby harps and similar when I realized "Uncharted Worlds" would need more and distinct voices than I currently own. And that got me thinking about instrument kits and one thing led to another...and there will be a fully detailed post on my new instrument when it is done and functional and I've had a chance to record a sample off it.



Bass practice is ongoing for the Hellboy cover. My thumb finally listened to me (I think it was changing my position; took off the neck strap and propped the bass on a leg instead. That freed my plucking hand from a support role.) So anyhow the thumb slide method is working for me now. Still some issues damping the D string but it is much less problematic than that A.

Yeah; on listen through playback other than headphones the test bass part I recorded really wasn't working for me. I need that finger plucked sound and I need to control the excess resonance. And that means learning proper bass technique.



And speaking of a Link:

While I was looking at various people's DIY harps and lyres I ran across builds of the "Goddess Harp" from Zelda: Skyward Sword. It is a nice-looking piece but I'm not sure how to make a functional harp from it.

Here's the sitch. The definition of "harp" is strings running perpendicular to the soundboard: in fact, they terminate in the soundboard. The lyre family -- as well as lutes and zithers -- have strings that run parallel to the soundboard and they acoustically couple to it via the bridge. (Think of a lyre as a guitar without a fretboard, and a zither as a guitar without a fretboard or a neck).

All of these work -- aka, project with volume and a good tone -- because there is a resonant cavity under the soundboard. For a guitar, that's the body of the instrument; try playing an electric guitar unplugged and you'll see exactly what that body does.

So the shape of the upper part of the Zelda harp is like a Kithara, the early Greek lyre. The strings terminate on a crosspiece which is suspended between two horns. However, in a Kithara the horns project from a soundbox -- the lower body -- with a bridge and tailpiece.. The Zelda harp is basically a croissant shape and the strings terminate along the inner curve as if it were a harp.

This would have lousy acoustics. Best I can think of is hide a soundboard inside, and then provide an opening for the sound to get out. There's also the issue of the crosspiece but builders have flattened that and added traditional tuning pegs to it without seriously harming the aesthetics of the instrument.

One alternative would be to make it an electric harp. Trouble is, you have to stick a pickup on every single string, unless they terminate in a single resonating piece (like, say...a soundboard).

Or go completely out of physical acoustics and make a laser harp. You could even stick a laser smoke generator in the body and even 5mW lasers would become visible. I think green lasers would look nice with the gold finish. Of course once you've started adding lights...why not make the harp body glow (gold, of course) as well?

But that gets into a completely different kind of project. One I could do. It is rather annoying, really; I've spent several decades collecting an eclectic set of skills from sculpture to fabrication to electronics and I would be entirely comfortable in approaching such a project. But I'm really more interested in learning the basics of acoustic instruments right now.

(Which also leaves out the Vulcan Lyre; although you could build an archtop, both the body shape and the canonical sound produced argues for it to be heavily electronic. Also, it is even more popular than the Zelda harp and there are at least two really excellent ones made by professional luthiers already.)

Say, I wonder if there are other fictional instruments of the string family? (Yes, there's the Skyrim lute, but I've watched a build of it and it is basically a shallow guitar with a lot of extra gingerbread.) I might be tempted to do that one but only as an electric and with full CNC.

Which is also a direction I'm going of late. Sure, it is fun to putter around a woodshop hand-shaping little bits of hardwood, but these days I'd just as soon leverage every labor-saving, time-saving, technological enhancement available. That's the thing I'm proudest about my Mini-Hoo, at least so far; that it took two afternoons to build (and one of them was mostly the sanding).

1 comment: