Saturday, March 31, 2018

There's no strings on me

...they're all over my workbench.


So the Vorson is re-strung with D'Addario EJ22's; "Jazz Medium Gauge" nickel-wounds. I shifted them one size up because of the shorter length; B string hung as E string, etc., then tuned them to guitar top four. That means most ukulele and guitar chords translate. Downside is the lowest string is only a D, so no playing the James Bond riff on this guy.

I sort of miss the sound of the original strings -- it was bright and edgy -- but I don't miss those cheese-slicer unwound strings at all. Plays fine through a mini-Fender and with my old Boss effects unit in front of a 10W Tourbus bass amp.


I cut the bridge a little more on the chincello to make it easier to hit the middle strings. That C string has such a high profile (seriously, it's a sixteenth of an inch in diameter). It also buzzes a bit. That's the string that's really pushing it -- going down an octave and a fifth is a bit much for a violin frame. I'm hoping a stickier rosin will help that. Some people suggest turning the bow a little and that seems to help as well.

It sounds quite cool through an amp, even a mini-fender. I haven't tried any effects on it yet.

And, yeah, that's enough stringed instruments so this became my big project this week:


I also wrote it up as an Instructable. After taking the pic above, though, I increased the width to 30" and now it comfortably fits all my strings. Now all I have to do is clear the pile of electronics at the foot of the bookshelf so I can put the stand over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment