Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Alas, Poor Hedgehog

The next weld did not go as well.  I still can't see what I'm doing, and still ended up with a lot of voids. Worse, I got a spot of weld metal on the end cap, which worked its way into the threads, and there was nothing for it but to twist the thing off anyhow...stripping the threads in the process. Fortunately, this is just the receiver threads (the end cap is made of sterner stuff. Or at least, it is now, having not been brought to annealing temperature by the original plasma cuts and the more recent welding.)

Anyhow, freeing the cap took tools and time I didn't have at the theater, so I gave up welding for the day and took it home. With the second piece tacked on, I now have enough to properly space the last weld. And it looks like a very large fill involved there (the plasma torch seems to have cut, backed off, then cut again at a slightly different angle, leaving a really large gap). I'm not sure puddling flux-core wire in there is the best move. I'm thinking I really do need to switch to MIG.

The next MIG class is a week from today. Now I just have to figure out how to restart my TechShop membership and still have money left for bills....

No comments:

Post a Comment