Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Little Too Literal

The place I've been at most recently forgot to cut a check for my contract so far work this month. The job I worked at the close of last month told me when I came in for the performance that they were putting it into the next financial period -- aka I don't get paid until the end of THIS month. And the job before that reneged on the equipment rental they promised.

I don't have the savings to handle six weeks without pay. So I'm dead broke and living off the last scraps of food in the pantry; mostly ramen noodles. Going eight to ten hours between meals. Which is to say; being hungry.

Ah, the joys of working in the arts. I'd gotten used to the low pay, but over the past year there has been a real epidemic of "forgetting" or "losing" checks, and that has seriously hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment