Thursday, December 26, 2019

I can do this

I think this is the first time I was able to read through the entire book without interruption.

I haven't changed my mind about the flaws. It is still too busy, too unfocused, and the protagonist doesn't really speak to me.

But I also see how I have learned and grown and how I can do better. The last few chapters are the action chapters and cut way back on the excess excursions. And after the solo adventure of so much of the first half, the banter between Biro and Markos as they join Penny in exploring Athens is just so nice.

The next book is free of the language stuff. Or rather, is a different kind of language stuff. But there's less of it anyhow. The next book is more focused on London and it's history. And it is -- and this is mostly to the good -- largely stuff that Penny doesn't know and when it is plot-important, the reader gets to learn it with her.

Really, the first book was a lot of groundwork. I recognize that. But the strength of the London book is going to be focus, a lot more interpersonal stuff, a fair bit more action, and that I think I've learned how to write better. Basically, it should be more of the stuff that was good in the last one.

So basically, the main thing I got from the last reading: a lot of "Oh, I know how I could have done this better."

***

It is funny. I've run into several people who were impressed I got a book printed. Printing? That took almost nothing to learn (well, I did have a head start in most of the essential skills) and not that much time to do, either. If I hadn't done my own cover it would be even less than that (and probably better results but anyhow).

The writing is the tough part. Hard to do and takes a long time, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment