Sunday, October 3, 2021

My text runneth over

Book is done.

And I went over my estimates. Through the last two books, it was almost magical how I managed to hit the target word count so closely with nothing but a story-teller's instinct to where the hit points were.

So I'm standing at 90K for this one and it isn't going to edit down significantly. I figured the whole end sequence from Shirakawa-go to the epilog was going to run 10-15K, and it hit right on 13,000 words. I wasn't trying to stretch it, and I wasn't trying to rush it. Actually, I thought the midnight drive in Godzilla would be more epic. Turns out there's not that much to say about driving a car down the highway even if it is a really sleek black sports car.

Basically the last act ran longer than expected. I hit a full 30K and the pattern of chapters was calling for more like 20.

So now I just got to edit, proofread, and format. And maybe put out an ARC but I have no patience for beta reading on this. I'm ready to move on to the next one.

Oh, and tell me cover artist to get moving. I've got three covers for her to plow through.

(And, yeah, do all that description and meta data and all that crap. Sigh. I tried, but I couldn't find anyone on Fivver to take those tasks off me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment