Thursday, May 27, 2021

Shooting Ratio

 I got through the first draft of the Sukeban Deka fight. But then of course Kei is Penny's guide to the next scene in the Akihabara, and I hadn't actually done any work on her character.

I had the idea that she speaks a mile a minute, not in the least bit shy, mixing English with an extremely strong accent with Japanese and various bits of intercultural loan-word slang. Which does turn out to be a thing (but rather more complicated), and I did some reading up and found some interesting resources.

And found I could actually sort of do it, although it took a lot of work and once again I can't reflect the way she really sounds as that would be all sorts of cringe-worthy "Engrish" phonetic spelling...

“Sugoi! Those sangurasu are so igirisu-chikku, they look like John Lennon wore them! Sweet Perfect-uppa for my Ashisu-chan!”

And then I bailed on that plan. It was just too much, for one thing. The reader will be lost at sea, and it isn't really the point of the scene or their interaction. And also...I didn't like this for her character. I've only watched a few minutes of Sukeban Deka but if there is anything you can say about Saki Asamiya is that she doesn't smile a hell of a lot. Her standard expression is serious, and although she is a talker, it is more like speeches. Giggling and talking like a maniac is not her.

Not that Kei is Saki, but I think it works better. Besides, her main role is to get Penny to Akiba then bow out, so Doctor Noh can take over the info-dump duties...

***

Between writing the draft and cutting it out to do something better, I answered on Quora about shooting ratios. Deadpool has a current (unofficial) record as having shot 555 hours to make a 110 minute film.

No comments:

Post a Comment