Friday, April 16, 2021

Reset

 And now the sound post fell over.

That's okay. I was in the middle of re-carving the neck tenon and I now I can feel a little more free about moving the violin around.

This, BTW, is the improvised tool I used to set it the first time. That wasn't fun.

Plus, I carefully made the first cut with a generous margin...on the wrong measurement. I hadn't taken into account how much thicker the violin gets towards the middle. Another thing that makes fitting the sound post so much fun; you put it in through the f-hole where it is too tall to actually go...

So the new tools came in the mail. Amazing how many specialized tools you want just for basic operations on a violin. We're not even talking the specialized luthier tools like bridge shaping clamps and of course the fine chisels and planes.


Well the drill bit is specific. That's the size I needed for the machine heads I'm putting on this hybrid machine. And here is the neck being glued on again:


Did I mention the big project for work was finished yesterday? Everything fit, too. But I worked on that through the weekend. Thursday we put it in, I took off early to get to some errands that I'd been putting off, treated myself to take-out...everything was going so much to plan I was starting to worry when the other shoe would drop. Got home and slept twelve hours. So there's that.

And that's why chin bass making, and a whole bunch of vacuuming, was happening today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment