Sunday, April 25, 2021

Kala Vorson, meet Cecelio Medini

 I did need the break from writing. And I'd gotten rusty on music. I still think I need to go to music paper to work out some of those harmonies.

The sketch below was just to explore potential voicings for "Ballad of Commander Shepard." I didn't try to clean up anything -- I didn't even bring out the good keyboard, just throwing everything in with the little clattery Korg Nanokey I mostly used as a sound effects playback controller.

The good news is how nicely what will be the Kala Ubass, the Vorson, the new Tycoon bongos and a shaker I don't own yet fill out the sonic space. Possibly better news -- at least for educational purposes -- is I am very much using multi-part string writing and need all three of my acoustic strings (although I might do a practice run with my silent violin.)

The bad news is how much sax and bone it wants. My trombone playing is lousy and I don't even own a real sax. As I continue to try out new ideas and refine the old ones I'll try to move into slower, more legato lines on the bones. But even with this, it is going to be a great thing for me actually record something instead of just learning (building!) new instruments.

 


And practically speaking, what this means is a few weeks of practice time...and otherwise I'm back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment