Sunday, May 10, 2020

Where the banshees live and they do live well

My neighbor is apparently doing a rain dance. Well, that I wouldn't mind. He just keeps stopping and starting, and never singing on pitch, and it goes on and on and on. Very distracting, and it is a muddy baritone that cuts through headphones as easily as it cuts through walls.

But, actually, the title is on account of finally getting across the street to get take-out breakfast from my favorite cafe.

I've been looking at pictures of a different monument all morning; not Stonehenge, but the Acropolis. And I've discovered 80% of the stock photographs are taken from the same angle. I am driven to distraction trying to find something that shows the Parthenon but doesn't look like it was taken from a helicopter, but instead from ground level.

Yes, I've been revisiting my cover.

I call it an artifact cover; it has an artifact, and it is an artifact. Of my original intent to have the name of an artifact as the title of each book. I never did come up with anything clever for foxes. In any case, the idea of a Roman coin is not really going to work for the next one.

Well, I could go with Roman coins and an archaeologist's trowel with a bit of the tile of Leslie Green platform of the London Underground in the background.

Thing is, I am more convinced that artifact-on-cover = thriller. Quirky image on cover = mystery cozy. And this is very much a solo-female-protagonist-has-adventure series, so stock photo girl and thing in background = what this series should have.

***

I finally did the first Diary scene in London Fox. The diary entries go on the list for special attention during the rewrites, to try and put them closer to appropriate period text.

Amusingly, Linnet is using the 19th century stylization of redacting names; "Mr. C__ told me this morning..." But that's because she's been hanging out with a spook and she's censoring her own diary.

It also saves me from adding MORE names to the damn thing.

Figuring out what goes into each "reading of the diary" scene meant I had to do a breakdown of the last week and figure out just how many entries I had and where they fell. So I have a nearly complete timeline now:

3 Nov arrived London (eve)
4 Nov Bradgate Park (Guy Fawkes)
5 Nov Imperial War Museum (monday)
6 Nov Tues begin at Kennington Green, Pig’s Ear, YouTube
7 Nov clash with Tony, Vans — could be Wed or Thurs (also New Moon)
8 Nov
9 Nov better, announcement
10 Nov Colwyn, Parrot (Lord Mayor Peter Estlin)
11 Nov Nurse, Check (Armistice)
12 Nov Nine Elms grounds, black and tan (monday)
13 Nov selected, Pimlico, Fleet/rally
14  Nov Dalek Dig, James Bond, degrees, Brixton (Wed)
15 Nov door discovered, Kennington Loop
16 Nov Nyovani, Diary
17 Nov Ack-Ack Girl, Steve, Limehouse Hostel
18 Nov Highgate, Kennington Park breakthrough (was 19th 2017)
19 Nov House-Hunting in Kennington, Weekender?
20 Nov Photographs, The Doctor, Diary: intro, trench shelter, Morlocks
21 Nov Black Cab, 410?, Diary: Kennington Park
22 Nov Panto, Playing Archaeologist, Battersea (eve), Diary: Captain
23 Nov Fox revealed, Last Day Dig, Diary: Wingate, (full moon)
24 Nov The Globe
25 Nov ATS, cockney, into the Underground, Diary: final
26 Nov
27 Nov (Diana real world)
28 Nov
29 Nov (London Bridge stabbing — was 2019)
30 Nov
1 Dec Romans

Standing at 40K, not sure if what I have will go closer to 20 or 30.

And I'm scribbling more and more notes for a book on writing. Those that can't do...teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment