Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Mary-Sue, meet Lamas-Su

Ah, the joys of local knowledge! The first London scene in Fox and Hounds takes place in Trafalgar Square. (In Penny's words, if you told a friend you were going to London they were going to mention London Bridge, "Big Ben," and Trafalgar Square. So she felt obligated to go.)

It was a weak scene. The only plinth I had to describe was some random Duke of Wellington on a Horse equestrian statue. And, see, I already knew the Fourth Plinth was used for public art. What I hadn't realized was what was on it in late 2018:


Yes, that's an Assyrian Lamassu. But it is more. It is an art project inspired by the ISIS destruction and it is fabricated from thousands of empty cans of imported date syrup.

Okay, sure, I'd love to stay more focused on the Blitz, even if I did open with the Nine Day's Queen. But this is just too good not to have in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment