Thursday, May 7, 2020

Hi ho, hi ho

Well, I guess I'm not finishing the novel on this sabbatical. I just got the call; Monday I go back to work. Bit of a shock. I thought there were three more weeks there. They're easing back but my entire department is called in and full-time and there's already orders coming in.

***

Today has been mostly going back over the existing chapters to see if I can open them up a little more and ease the reader in. I've tried three different approaches at saying "This is Sunday and I'm at Trafalgar Square" and I haven't liked any of them yet. I was getting a little too clever with the scene-setting.

Now I pretty much know the story of Linnet-who-worked on Paternoster Row, Captain Wentworth lately of Wingate's SNS in Palestine, and the Nine Elms Station improvised air-raid shelter. But I haven't figured out how I'm approaching Linnet's diary. I hit the first scene when it was discussed and realized I wanted to take a look back across the existing half and the outlines for the second half and see if I can't make it feel a little more organized.

I am still convinced the best thing for my writing -- and any sales I might make -- is to prioritize getting it done and out there as opposed to getting it perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment