Saturday, November 2, 2019

Hex and Cat

Found my Carrara 6 installer. It wouldn't install. OS is too new. But it turns out I had only hidden the Carrara 7 install, not actually deleted it. And it has broken fonts. Yes, they have a version 8.5 for a relatively low upgrade price but according to forums it doesn't change the font problem or fix any of the other bugs that have been with the thing since, oh, version 4.

By broken I mean the menus have no words and when text boxes pop up everything, even the buttons, are empty. So I tried anyway. I remember the program fairly well; that's the only reason I put up with it this long. And immediately hit the poor UI design, where everything is hard to see and the control handles are too tiny to grab and every time you miss a text box pops up to remind you that you missed -- a text box warning that needs to be clicked through but can not be disabled.

So that's not happening. Life is too short to suffer utter crap like that program.

Fusion360 would be lovely, but the "lasts forever" annual $50 was cancelled. Thanks, Autodesk. Now it is over $500 a year. And the thing is now so top-heavy and overloaded even the web site comes close to crashing.

So I guess I am going to buy Cheetah3d. It's been coming along. It has gotten more expensive, and it has a little of that too-eager proselytizing among the users and the same weird habit of not actually having a manual. But I've given it a trial spin....and it still beats Carrara.

No comments:

Post a Comment