Sunday, October 20, 2019

Wayfarer Fantasy

I'm within 5K of the page goal. I'm going to go over a bit. My instinct says 8-10K to wrap this up.

And this is the point at which it starts to get weird. My protag has put the costume back on and made the bad-ass boast and I'm currently writing the scene where she -- as a complete neophyte sailor -- is single-handing a sixteen-foot sailing dingy with jib sail out into the Aegean.

Was easier than I thought to pick a boat. The brand is Wayfarer and they are up to Mark V now but there are still Mark I's around. Good basic boat. Way more lines than I remember from my El Toro days (well, it is twice as long and twice the sails, too).

To keep from swamping the reader and, more importantly, to keep from swamping me I decided not to go all Aubrey-Maturin with it and had her instructed by someone who gave up on the language barrier and just calls everything "That thing."

Kind of like my boss. We've worked it to a high art over there; the entire shop is likely to say things like, "We need to move the things that were in the place we got the stuff from the other day."

Anyhow, from here on out to the end of the book she's basically getting away with the kind of hero shit that would put most of us in jail or at least on YouTube. With a brand new concussion. I may have forgotten what little I know about sailing but you do not single-hand a boat in the middle of open sea after a twenty-minute lesson that consisted mostly of silently pointing at things!

Yeah, once again, I'm in territory that I just had to explore by writing the actual text. Once again, no outline could have saved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment