Sunday, October 20, 2019

I think, sir, you know me at my best

Working very fast now. The Wayfarer saga is over. Now I'm in the middle of a fight with a Giant Mook because it wouldn't be an Indiana Jones pastiche without a giant mook.

Yeah, except that really isn't this character's thing. Her only previous fist fight was an inconclusive slap-fight. So the character evolution as I've been working with it says she shouldn't even be able to compete, much less win here.

Except. I've been hinting at gods, and this is a place where I thought about having the unseen behind-the-scenes manipulators bless her with a brief Aristeia. That's a concept she'd be familiar with from The Illiad (not that she read much of it -- she hated it.)

The way it is presented in the poem is as a sort of supernatural super-competence, a zen-like condition of being totally focused on destruction and being essentially unstoppable. During his Aristeia, Diomedes stabs Ares -- a god -- and drives him from the field.

I'm not saying I'm going to make it obvious. No golden light, no super strength. Just a surprising reversal and a strength she didn't know she had and a powerful urge to put a mallet through the poor guy's head. And then she rejects it.

So, I don't know. I'm not in favor of it at the moment. One of the few pluses on the ledger is that it transitions smoothly into the next scene. AND I just thought of a really cool thing she could do, if I set it up this way.

But I'm probably better finding a different way. Now that I've Actually Reached the Scene (TM), I can decide what the Outline couldn't. It doesn't work for me, not as well as her doing something damned clever like talk to the guy.




No comments:

Post a Comment