Thursday, August 17, 2023

Gas gas gas

I play Satisfactory to unwind. Seriously. It is nice to take a break from trying to clean, repair, and organize a shop and a home to trying to repair and organize...a whole alien colony.

First expanded my turbo fuel line (turbo fuel is an unlocked recipe that gives the stuff you refine from crude oil a bit more kick. Especially in the jetpack.) Created a refuel station in the Blueprinter, dropped a bunch around the map and assigned some trucks to run fuel out to keep them topped off.


Downside is, player-driven vehicles will top off their fuel tanks if they just drive past. The AI vehicles are coded (since Update 5) to only take as much in their tank as they calculate will get them to the next stop. Which means they are constantly running out of gas on some distant road and you have to go play AAA for them. So these aren't gas stations per se. They are drop-off stations for the fuel trucks.

Turbo fuel also stretches further in power generators. This is my most productive generator farm -- only eighteen generators, but they are all overclocked.


One of these days I'll finish decorating the outside of it. Meanwhile the Spider is my sole nuclear power plant. Well, the plant is in the lake. The Spider is all the zero-waste fuel reprocessing. It also sends some refined uranium to an outpost building of the Fort Hood facility:


Fort Hood was my "excuse to build shit." Since I wanted to explore more of the game world, and there are some dangerous creatures out there (damn those spiders!) I built a facility that entirely churns out explosives and ammunition. I could have gotten much crazier with it, but I limited myself to only the stuff I actually expected to use. That tower there is where the drones come in flying radioactive material to be fabricated into....nuclear hand grenades!

Also, the box canyon was a little bit too small for my needs.


There's a little boutique refinery setup, running fuel both for the turbo-rifle ammunition and for the TESS-A stations in this part of the world, smokeless powder, rubber and fabric to make filters for the gas mask (you go through filters fast.) Since there is no oil in that corner of the game world there's a long pipeline from the other major power generator facility.


That gets me everything but the gas grenades. Those require biomatter. You use leaves or branches, the same way you create biofuel for your early-game generators. Or you can use bodies. This rather sinister building recycles the corpses of alien creatures into more weapons to kill them with. And I'm telling you -- those spiders deserve it.




And, yes, the Minecraft like building assets means the game is biased towards Brutalist architecture. You can go in other directions, but it really does like large blocky concrete.

For this area, I also experimented with covered conveyor belts. They do look a bit neater...but they are a pain to set up and a nasty tangle inside. So not really worth it.


Fortunately there is no need to ever expand. There's only so much ammo I can use. The one thing I might do is blueprint some arms depots and assign a truck to go out there and keep them topped off with guns and knives...just in case.



No comments:

Post a Comment