Monday, May 23, 2022

In a tarheel state

I am finally getting something of a handle on one of the major characters in the Paris book; another tourist from America as it happens. As part of that I was looking up details on the North Carolina dialect.

Ran across this quiz and on impulse, took it.


Well, I guess more soaked in over my three years stationed over there than I thought. In any case, Amelia is from Raleigh, a cosmopolitan city in the tech central, the so-called Research Triangle. According to various sources the local dialects have faded sharply since I was there. (Not that there was ever a single North Carolina dialect. Besides being big enough to be diverse, the state occupies a strange space between East Coast, Midwest, Deep South, and Great Smokey Mountains. So there are at least three major dialectical areas, plus some rapidly-vanishing patois in the islands.)


No comments:

Post a Comment