Sunday, April 10, 2022

Windows Update

The laptop repairs were good...everything except the new optical drive, which still doesn't accept disks. But I have a USB drive for those rare CDs so that's not really an issue. More RAM, clean filters, new heatsink compound, and new battery.

The new video card in the gaming PC lasted a day. Well, actually, the card was fine. Ran great, I shut it down after a few hours, next day it didn't start.

Still have the original ailing HD in there so grabbed a Windows boot drive...nope. Disconnected everything SATA and pulled the RAM, too. Nope; not even a chime. Swapped the power supply. Nope. Okay, I'd been thinking about it anyhow; stuck in a new mobo. Still an I5, still an H97 but slightly different layout so it was a bit of fun trying to figuring out some of the hookups.

And it started with no problem at all -- everything worked the first try. That's a bit scary!

Booted it a couple of times and still no errors. Still tempted to can the old HD and do a better job of migrating the OS to the small SSD (I picked up a cheap terrabyte SSD to store all the Steam files on).

I tried out several game and so far I haven't had to dial down the settings from ultra everything. Well, maybe just a few little ones (like weapons fragments in Fallout 4, which at high levels can bring any machine to its knees.)

But of course...I'm just not that interested in playing anything at the moment. So the PC sits, repaired but ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment