Saturday, December 26, 2020

My Inari

 Way too much research. Also feeling frustrated at how slowly the plot is coming together, and the story doesn't quite feel "real" to me.

This is the problem of writing a series that progresses. If I had one solid Origin Story book, then the rest would be formula. Well, Penny Bright still hasn't quite morphed into Athena Fox. I mean, there's going to be conflict between these two parts of her experience. That's a constant for the series. Although I do want to move more towards it being inherent conflicts in the role, and less her conflict with taking on a role in the first place.

Plus the ninjas were maybe a mistake. I brought them out too early and too strong so now I've got to back-pedal because Penny is being too blasé about it. Both about how much ninjas aren't really running around Japan (well, they are, but that's another story), and how Penny isn't really being cool and collected about people jumping out at her with weapons in their hands (even if the weapons are weird fantasy weapons).

So basically she's having a small breakdown. That was a given -- I was aiming for that in this book already. But now I have to tell the reader without telling her because otherwise she's not coming across as, well, a real person.

So I've barely introduced the main cast, my protagonist is acting strange, the Japanese setting is still so alien all the narrator can say is, "It looked like some sort of..."  And no wonder I feel disconnected from the novel.

***

Finished the Turnbull book and there were a lot of things I hadn't known. Well, duh. That's why you do research. Better way to put it is that there were things I didn't expect I'd be learning. I wanted more about history and geography and he explained a lot more about ninja in contemporary culture, the religious connections, and...well all sorts of stuff there's no chance of fitting into the book.

I'm also reading a paper right now on Inari shrines and, hoo boy. Okay, here's a simple one. You'll hear in various places about the "Five Great Shrines." So go to one. Ask the head priest, "What's the other four?" You'll get a different answer at every shrine. As Karen Smythers puts it, "Even the regional variability is variable."

And I'm resisting now the urge to properly cite everything I write now, to academic standards.

I got the reminder email and I'm still paying JSTOR for a monthly membership. I went over there thinking about cancelling (I'd gotten it for my Bronze Age novel) but ran into several papers I wanted to read for my current book.

So I'm reading general background on the Genpai wars, the Imperial Treasures, magatama, the bubble economy... Seems like every scene is giving me questions I really want to answer, and they are deep questions too. Once again, doing top-level internet research pulls up forty identical copies of the same surface gloss. It is harder and harder these days to drill down to proper detail.

Citations, people, citations!

I pinned this story on knowing a bit about Kyoto, Ancient Astronaut stuff, rock climbing and fitness stuff. Even on the stuff I knew, though, I'm needing to know more. Frustrating stuff because all I need sometimes is a word or two in a description. But it isn't a description I can pass over.

When they drive up to the factory in Nara the workers are doing calisthenics. Which happens when, and does it still happen at Japanese companies, and what kinds of exercises? Where in Nara can I place this; are we looking at lake, river, mountain, forest, city...? It's just one word but I need the right word.

There's a reason I keep needing to take a break and sit back drinking beer and watching Bones. Although I really should be watching the six different programs on Japan I have lined up in my watchlist already...

No comments:

Post a Comment