Monday, August 10, 2020

Pitch?

 Preview of the revision-in-progress:


So that's with the Tomb of Atreus background, new render of the calyx with cleaner ground and no bullets and a godray that took ten hours of render time even at 1/4 resolution. I had the side lighting cut because Dad complained about it, but I needed them to detach the pot from the background so rendered those off as a new layer and comped that in this morning.

One thing PhotoShop does not do, apparently, is let you adjust the kerning on individual letters. I'm still delving into that, though. (You can, of course, turn them into a bitmap and manipulate that.) It's really a sort of awful font -- Diogenes, and it was free at least. But it has the "Greek without being too awkwardly Disney Hercules" look about it.

And I just realized I'm breaking another rule by using a serif font with a sans serif. Well, with a decorative. The serif font is Archaeocaps, which is a caps-only font with a slightly awkward look that does sort of put across "history, but modern."

It's a tough cover problem, trying to juggle archaeological thriller with detective cozy. The other is worse. I haven't quite figured out how to not make it look like a crime novel.

And rewrites are going very slowly.


***

During lunch at work today I took the bridge off my violin and thinned it down. The main reason was because the mute didn't fit and it was cutting into my practice opportunities.

It's funny. You look at the "how to fit a bridge" and they all explain how to use sandpaper. Then the old pros speak up, horrified that you'd use anything but a very sharp knife. Well, I'm lazy. I used sandpaper. Although I did use a knife to fit the feet a little better than they had been.

The bridge fit. The violin also sounded nicer, much nicer. I am not into the bright sound and I just splurged as well for a "non-whistling E string." And a set of nylon-core (not the really expensive silk-and-gut ones, though). Strings don't last forever anyhow, and my A string had just unravelled and I had to scrounge up the strings I had before I got the Alphayues.

One thing led to another and I swapped back the old chin rest and it is finally starting to feel like it is placed right on my shoulder. Still some tension though, mostly in the arm.

Anyhow!

I put the strings on but left them a little slack so everything could ease in a little. Came back a few hours later, and with no reference pitches in my ear over that entire period tuned in the E to as close as my tuner could register it.

So maybe I do have perfect pitch? I really need to spend some more time training it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment