Sunday, August 23, 2020

How long goats live

Not a fun week. High temperatures and higher smoke -- smells like a dumpster fire outside and it went into the red zone several times. I come back from work into a hot apartment and what can I do but open the windows and let smokey, slightly less hot air in?

Plus we are clearing out a warehouse. To make room for all the stuff from a warehouse we're moving out of. We recycle, though, so this means taking everything out of the packaging and binning it correctly and is not the kind of labor to be doing in this sort of weather.

Saturday I couldn't face editing so I dragged the gaming machine out of the closet. Thing about open-world games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 is you can ignore the core game and go off and do things. My favorite Skyrim pastimes are either being a bard, or running a farm. I want to play an archaeologist and poke into Dwemer stuff but that would take more modding to make really plausible.

So my current Fallout 4 I assumed the Sole Survivor's mind snapped and he has decided he is a Roman legionnaire. I'm ignoring most of the quests and all the main plot line and using mods to let me build all the crap I want. I'm not even using the stock settlements, but instead building my own forts and townships up in the nearly vacant Northeast corner of the map around Vault 111. Unfortunately I can't find any Roman armor, and because of how settlements work I can't build roads from one fort to another (much less a Hadrian's Wall).

***

Editing is not going well. I have no confidence in the story. Or my writing.

I've started redrawing the coin at least. And although this week has not been one for either writing in the evening or thinking during the day I still managed to solve one scene re-write. Really, what I need to do now is put on the appropriate music, open a beer, and charge through the remaining big hole.

But I think I'll focus on getting it ready for beta instead. Maybe I can deal with the grammar checker. (Dammit -- and I have the Geordie Dialect check to do as well. Plus I am still fumbling for Linnet's voice, and that needs some attention).

No comments:

Post a Comment