Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Owl Really?

Yeah, so much for no research.

I kinda like the new idea. The new, simple, fast, cheap, no research idea that can be finished and on Amazon in 6-8 months idea.

But...reading right now a book on the Medici Conspiracy (no, not that family...a much later antiquities smuggling ring), and about the (grr!) "Dorian Invasion" and a wee bit about Aristotle (no, not that one; the one that hung out with Callas and married Jackie).

Still, this is probably not going to be in-depth and since I'm using a contemporary setting a lot of the smaller details are a Google Maps browse away.

The plot as it is right now leverages my interest in the Bronze Age, my recent trip to Athens, less recent travel experiences in Germany, and a vague familiarity with YouTube monetizing, the German language, and various strands of pseudo-history. Oh, yes. And my protagonist has a theater background, which I'll try hard not to make into the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook of the series.

What's it about? Fun. Adventure and travel and a bit of history. And about becoming the mask, on various sides of the experience; the fun of pulling off an impersonation, the lingering chill of impostor syndrome, and of course the way a role can change you. And I'll try not to get too preachy about archaeology and the endemic problem of looting.

And I haven't decided yet about the gods. Or Atlantis. I'm going to cheat, at least in the first one. I'm going to do that thing I said I hate; a supernatural element that appears in such a way as to be totally deniable.

Now on to the place where at least one previous novel died; the outline. Does the plot stretch to a proper page count? I should know in a day or two -- by the end of the week I should know if I have a "go."

No comments:

Post a Comment