Sunday, August 26, 2018

My dog has no nose

When I was on Prednisone my sense of smell returned for a brief time. That was interesting. The world became more real to me. It underlined the way I'd been feeling disconnected for a time, feeling as if I was watching a movie instead of being in a real place.

Post surgery, however, the sense of smell is returning much more slowly. And subtly. Unfortunately my state is on fire again (a condition I'm afraid will be with us every year now). All that soot in the air probably not the best prescription for a healing nose. By Friday I could smell it. By that point, it smelled less of wood smoke and more like a dumpster fire.

So so far it has been bad smells that have made it past the threshold. This weekend, though, I was at a barbecue, and I was so happy to able to smell grilling onions. The literature is unclear whether I will ever get the full sense of smell back but I've finally confirmed I have some. (Another weird effect; the taste of the coffee I've been drinking at work has changed.)

Ah, but there's always something. I got so used to the way my voice sounded with a stuffy nose and ears. Now it isn't trapped inside my head any more. I'm hearing it from outside, and it's weird. Half the time I'm talking I think I'm listening to someone else.

Isn't the psychology of senses fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment