Wednesday, August 29, 2018

(In)Audible

I've gotten really tired of trying to scroll my mp3 player to where I left off on a 2-hour podcast. So perhaps Audible would do a better job?

Took a browse at their history collection. Ancient history. On the first page a book caught my eye; a lecture series on daily life in the ancient world! But then I checked the reviews. Besides failing to deliver (aka the book is your basic overview of each selected culture, not a focused view of those details of daily life that are so difficult to extract from the usual sources), it had horribly basic errors in physical anthropology, and worse, betrayed a certain anti-science attitude.

The next book displayed was by Graham Hancock.

I'm not saying Audible is a bad service, but their grasp of what belongs in "history" appears on a par with the understanding shown by cable TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment