Sunday, November 27, 2022

Something in my I

The last chapter in my grammar pass, and I've finally figured out what I've been doing wrong.

I thought it was because I was using too many "tee up" clauses; "After leaving the tunnel, we saw the dirigible landing," or "Because the dirigible was on fire, we decided not to board."

(And, oops, I just solved one of my world-building problems. How could I do a steampunk story and not have dirigibles? So no magic/liftwood/ninth ray floating stuff. Just brute force and hydrogen gas.)

Anyhow, I was making a simpler and subtler mistake. Which is also a different mistake; when writing in First Person one is tempted to put the "I filter" in front of descriptions; "I heard a noise," "I saw over the ridge," etc. Just as all description is assumed to be through the eyes and ears and nose and procioreceptors of the narrator, a very large number of the actions taken can also be assumed to be those of that same person.

And I was making that mistake. Especially with "and" forms; "I kicked down the door and I ran into the burning building." And that would get flagged by the grammar checker because those are technically independent clauses and a comma should precede that "and."

Or...leave out the second "I." Now both verbs are attached to the same actor and they are no longer independent clauses soldered together with a comma, or strung together, breathlessly, without one.

"I kicked down the door and ran into..."

Done.

Do I want to go back through the entire damned thing and find all of these? Maybe I do. On the other hand, I was striving for a certain amount of run-on...


No comments:

Post a Comment