Saturday, March 19, 2022

A Mighty Wind

I have few enough readers so far that it is hard to do any kind of analysis. Certainly too few to check anything beyond the gross effect of advertising. That, at least, seems to track; I sell copies when I am spending money at Amazon to place my covers in front of eyeballs.

But there is a puzzling pattern that is almost there often enough to make theorizing possible. And that is several Kindle Unlimited page read counts that seem to get to about 30 and stop.

I have an idea for this. This marks the start of a second chapter in which the plot is unfolding as a (relatively) realistic travel-thriller. Or, rather...the start of a second chapter after the incident on top of the Acropolis.

Where a strange wind blows right after Penny thinks about gods and hubris.

So is it possible, this is the place where the reader finally clues in that this ain't Percy Jackson? That the gods are never going to be more present than a mysterious wind or a stranger with gray eyes? And that this is not the contract they wish to enter into; that they want something more urban fantasy?

Well, I went and started a give-away at Goodreads. Might be a mistake. Goodreads is a tough crowd. Books I've liked and personally given four or five stars are being ravaged by other reviewers there. If anyone actually reviews (the usual ratio is rather lower than one review per 100 copies read), I had better be in a good mood when I read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment