Sunday, August 15, 2021

Schedule slippage

Never rains but it pours.

Good thing the new drugs seem to be working because HR was getting concerned about how many days I was missing. So this is a really, really bad month to be taking any time off to write. Not even a long lunch.

And the building owner decided NOW (at the height of a pandemic!) is when the contractors need to come in and I've had to run around making space and that means basically doing spring cleaning NOW. Right in the middle of trying to meet my writing deadline.

Which means here I am on the weekend, on my only time away from work, and my OTHER boss is running around outside and randomly knocking on my door to ask for things which means I'm basically still at work. Grr. 

(And I'm eager to record my Game of Thrones cover so I can cut my hair. Those COVID locks look wonderful in the test video I shot but they are annoying, too.)

***

I made a plan and the plan says I need to be back to writing on Part IV on Monday. And I ended up with a few more revisions on Part I but it is so tight now, so well told, I really, really want to see if I can get the same to happen for Part II. The drugs are cutting through the brain fog and everything seems so much more clear. I have been making tight notes, and at lightning speed.

I've also been ruthlessly chopping. I've got enough of the book in draft now that I can look at a bit or description or the set-up for a later story beat and say, "Naw, not important enough to keep." 

But it does mean that I'm still finishing rewrites on Part II. Haven't even opened Part III. I was hoping to get the final chapter finished this morning before breakfast so I could use breakfast...brunch...to review Part III and take notes for revisions on that.

But it took most of the morning just to get the "Kitaro" scene together.  700 words of Penny posing on top of a rock pretending to do martial arts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment