Monday, March 9, 2020

Down an octave

Got a practice mute for the trombone and it helps a lot. It still isn't a great trombone; the slide scrapes and there's no tuning slide. But it is enough to learn on. I'm trying to get out of the brass and get back to violin. Oh, I got a new practice mute for that, too, and it works very nice; I actually got in fifteen minutes on the violin today as well.

When you aren't buying an instrument, you are buying stuff for the instrument. See if you can guess what instrument the following go with; Aquila Nyguts, felt pick, capo; ka-bass metal wound strings, under-bridge pickup, amp, practice amp, case; jazz strings (seeing a theme here), alphayues, octave strings, three shoulder rests, chin rest, carbon-fibre bow, re-hair kit, blank bridge, chin rest tool, bridge mute, metal mute; Rico 2.0 soprano reeds, mouthpiece pads; lip plate patches; 5C mouthpiece, harmon mute, pixie mute, practice mute, Yamaha silent brass, cleaning kit, spitballs; more spitballs, another cleaning kit, another practice mute; tipper, and black electrical tape.

Anyhow. The practice mute allowed me to chase up through the second octave and that helped me figure out why some of the lower notes (especially on the second partial) were horrible, and that helped me see some errors I'd been making in embouchure on the trumpet, and that's led me to some exercises to clean up the slotting there, too.

So I'm getting a lot of hours in at work. And a bit of good practice time. And I'm walking every day. And I'm so tired I'm going to bed early and I still haven't made any headway on the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment