Sunday, August 25, 2019

Well that was...

Had three goals for yesterday. Outline the next chapter. Practice trumpet. Take a call over some measurements for work.

Well, they didn't call. I didn't get the outline done. I did practice but whatever that was I did that suddenly opened up the upper range is eluding me. I'm more secure on the high C and above and my tone is much better on those notes but I miss the ease I caught that high G with.

There's no standard, by the way. It is the octave problem again; some people change octave at A, some at C. It is double C, but what is the B below it?

Well, brunch today is for wrestling with the novel. One of my various writing books says if you are stuck, it is probably a clue something is wrong. Well, I'm confronting right now that it more-or-less works as a stand-alone book but it isn't what I'd hoped to do with the character as a series character and it sort of violates the implicit promises of the premise.

Depending on the premise. If you blurb it as "Penny is in Athens on her first vacation and..." it works. If you say anything about, "...plays an archaeologist and globe-trotting adventurer..." than it is obvious that at some point the role and reality are going to get confused, and Adventure Archaeologist stuff is going to be happening.

Which it isn't. But maybe I can tweak it a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment