Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Gue news

So of course it didn't last.

Saturday was also two performances of the kid's show. Under two hours drive out, over three back, making about a ten hour day. Walked into the woods on the way back to collect some sticks for a lyre bow.


Mixed on an unfamiliar board (Behringer X32, not actually that different in concept than the Yamaha LS9 I spent so many years on). The real problem was having no sound check. Not the first time I've had to deal with this, though. I was able to fire up the board long enough to play a sample of the backing track and thus set my rough master level and gain staging.

Took the spare body pack up to the booth and that gave me a ballpark trim and fader setting. So then I roughed in the rest of the mix levels based entirely on dressing room chatter. The first minute of the show was of course a mad scramble as I trimmed up everything to where it actually needed to be but having that ballpark and making sure I'd gain-staged to where the signals would be a useable level (not on the verge of clipping, not at the bottom of the fader travel either), really helps.

Sunday walked around the lake. Had a slight cough but didn't think much of it.


Woke up early on Monday, walked to work, carved out the sound box on my Shetland Gue during break and almost put in a full day. But was starting to really hack and wheeze. Crawled home, threw the HEPA filter on turbo mode, and collapsed on the futon. 

Bronchial cold. Didn't kill my energy so bad, but really took the inspiration out of doing anything when every time I got my blood moving I'd go into a paroxysm of coughing. Of course Tuesday was another performance so I suffered through that then crawled back into bed.

Today, I'm taking off work completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment