Friday, February 22, 2019

3x3x2

I started trumpet practice today running up and down the slots. And something changed. Hit the high C and just kept going...every note fell right into place, nice and clear, as I continued up the scale. I think I hit the Double C before my lip finally gave. Didn't get back nearly as high the rest of the practice session -- but at the end of the day can still go to the E without too much trouble. (Now the big issue is working my lip back down smoothly from the high range).


Still, learning a new instrument is vastly more exciting than continuing to practice at one I can already sort-of play. I have much work to do on everything I own but my wandering eye falls on so many new toys...

Okay, and there's also upgrades to what I already have. A decent ukulele. A proper student-model trumpet. A real sax. On the flip side, though, I have a small apartment and have difficulty finding places to practice the louder instruments. For all that and more I kinda like specializing in the small and quirky; U-bass and Venova instead of bass guitar and saxophone, for instance.


Or piccolo french horn. These play in Bb, same as a trumpet. The sound is sort of a weird hybrid between french horn and flugelhorn, they aren't terribly in tune with themselves and are a pain to play. But they are cute...

So that makes roughly three instruments that I'm really wanting to buy right now that all fall into about the $300 range. And I'm going to try to hold off until I've paid off the Grecian vacation. I still don't know what a Grecian Urns but I'm losing a lot of work hours over the kid's show I'm in the middle of mixing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment