Saturday, September 29, 2018

Jade

A jade necklace showed up in Tomb Raider 2013, the first game of a new reboot of the venerable series. I made a copy myself working from a file on Thingiverse, but now that the new Tomb Raider movie is out WETA Workshop has weighed in, making it canon that (despite in-game appearance to the contrary), it is actually a pounamu necklace from New Zealand.

This is mine, not WETA's

The 2013 game is all about the lost kingdom of Yamatai and its (undead) Queen Himiko. Well, the archaeological news of the day is that more indications have been found that the real Yamataikoku (mentioned in Chinese texts as flourishing somewhere around the 3rd and 2nd centuries) may have been located in Nara Prefecture, at the present-day archaeological site of Makimuku.

Yeah, I like that necklace (so does my sister...she borrowed it and I've never gotten around to making another). So I put it in my 100,000 word Tomb Raider fanfic (the story that got me really hooked on historical research). Since I was mostly using the earlier, "Crystal Dynamics/Tomb Raider Trilogy" canon, I made up my own back story for the necklace.

I pretty much threw a dart at a map, and in my fanfic, Lara had found the jade necklace at....Makimuku.



(I also came this close to name-dropping the lost city of Kitezh in the fanfic. That was a year before any details were released about Rise of the Tomb Raider. The plot of which includes....Kitezh.)

1 comment: