Sunday, February 4, 2018

I don't get it

A bit over two years ago I stopped being a free-lance contractor and started a full-time job.

Well, nearly full time. I took a reduced hours position with some schedule flexibility under the understanding (and strong approval from my boss) that I had theater shows I'd already contracted to and would be doing.

Dracula was the last gasp for that. It hit right when I was trying to get a medical opinion on my extreme slumps (and succeeded only in hitting depths I hadn't hit in years). The only other theater thing I remember doing after that was making an LED strip set-up for a lighting designer friend. For which I'm still hundreds of dollars in the hole.

And it might have been that. Or the holidays with entire weeks in which the shop was dark and no work hours were to be had. Or the winter season and missing a week or two myself due to being sick.

Whatever it is, I've been paycheck-to-paycheck since at least December and it sucks.

I remember making enough to pay off my debt and also pay up some long-neglected infrastructure; car repair, new glasses, new futon (and those things aren't cheap). And a couple budget musical instruments.

Now this is something like the third paycheck in a row where I've been broke when it arrived. I can't seem to catch up. My savings mysteriously vanished and I haven't even contemplated any large line-items recently.

It's like I'm back to being a starving theater artist again. Except the work is boring.




No comments:

Post a Comment